Powered By Blogger

11 April 2019

Wrap dress sporting flutter sleeves in bubble chiffon


This weekend I was very busy with the construction of a dress for a client. She needed a new outfit for a friend's wedding that is coming up soon.

So let's start with the design - a wrap dress with diagonal darts in the bodice, waist ties and flutter sleeves. My client just loved the darts in this design, as it creates a very flattering drape across the bust area. 
The fabric is a soft woven print, called bubble chiffon but I've seen it named bubble crepe as well, depending on the weight and of the fabric. It is so pretty and lovely to handle. The bubble in the fabric allows for a slight 2-way stretch, and makes it easy to work with and also to wear. I will definitely consider it for a future project if I come across it again!

The picture below was taken after the neckline facings and shoulder seams were done, because I wanted to see how the pleats look like on the model.



Then I added the self-drawn flutter sleeves and for anyone still wondering, I've included a quick draft and picture thereof below on how to draw a new pattern for a flutter sleeve on the fly.

Start off with the original sleeve pattern, and cut vertical lines from the hem to almost at the sleeve cap. Then spread the pieces apart to make the pattern wider and fuller at the bottom.

You can adjust and spread the pieces to add as much flare as you want.
The final shape of the pattern will look a little funny, that's perfectly fine. So now you have more fullness at the bottom, but no gathering or poofiness at the cap of the sleeve.

The sleeve were an elegant solution and suits the dress in this case perfectly, adding to the summer feel of the dress. 

She promised me a final photo with her wearing the dress and I will post once I get it.

Quick update of the post:

And here she is!! The dress is a perfect fit and she looks very happy with it. Here she is posing for a little picture, before going in to her friend's wedding. 



2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the dress Hermien, it was so comfortable and flattering. It made my day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very welcome!! So glad you loved it :-)

    ReplyDelete