Powered By Blogger

27 February 2019

Future project: Quilted Jacket


I spotted a quilted jacket on "Pinterest" this morning, and spent some time looking for more ideas and different techniques and felt so inspired by the many examples out there!

 Below are images from the quilted jacket designs that I spotted to give you an idea.

From what information I got is that you should start with a simple pattern and size it for a loose-fitting garment. Essentially, to make the quilted effect, the 3 layers of materials are stitched together.

Initially cut out the pieces larger than the pattern and do the stitching, then cut out according to the pattern pieces. This is to make provision for the movement and shrinkage of the fabric from the stitching.

The quilting bit is supposed to take the most time, so I'm wondering whether I will find any beautiful fabrics that are already quilted? Mmmm… lets keep that option open for now and see if I can find suitable pieces at the fabric shop.

Then the pieces are sewn together, and the edges are tidied up with bias binding strips that can be easily made.

I've even spotted a pattern and sew-along for the quilted "Tamarack Jacket" on this blog: Grainline studio

So here are some of the retail designs that I was inspired by, from designers Youki, Isabel Marant and Wilfred Jonquille.

With winter coming soon, I will add this project to my list of sewing projects for this year.
Youki quilted Jacket
Isabel Marant quilted denim jacket
Wilfred Jonquille quilted jacket



No comments:

Post a Comment