Powered By Blogger

06 August 2019

My current projects - 2 blouses

So, I got a bit cutting happy and drafted 2 blouse patterns. Well, ideally you have to use up previously bought fabric before buying anything new right? And since there was a sale at my favorite fabric store, and I couldn't leave without getting at least 4 new pieces of fabric... well, that's where I got where I am, busy constructing 2 blouses simultaneously.

The first is a short sleeve blouse (Burdastyle 10.2015) with pleats around the neck. It had to be a spring/summer blouse because of the cool colors in the fabric. 
Burdastyle 10.2015

Front and Back folded, sleeves and facings
So far, I've sewn the pleats on the front top piece and attached the front to the back at the side seams.  
Next I will be hauling out the overlocker to tidy up and cover stitch the seams. After which comes the sleeves and then the neck facings, ironing on stiffening before attaching to the top. There is a small opening on the back neck, and that is easily incorporated with the neck facing pieces. Wow, this blouse is going pretty fast! 

I decided not to insert the funny flappy thingies on the sides of the blouse. I don't know what that is all about, but I cut the bottom of the blouse slightly wider and will do a standard fold-over seam.

The 2nd blouse (from Burdastyle 6.2019) has prominent long sleeves that has a zillion pleats to be sewn at the cuffs and a wide eye-catching placket at the front of the blouse. 
Burdastyle Blouse 06.2019

I noticed that there aren't any bust darts, so I hope the width of the blouse and the neck opening allows for enough movement.
Here are images of the work in progress on the sleeves. So far, I've transferred the markings for the pleats on to the fabric pieces and then pinned each pleat in preparation for stitching.

       
Sleeve Pattern with cuff darts
Next up is the neck opening with the placket pieces pinned and ready to be sewn. This is officially my first attempt at doing a placket so I had to do a bit of research for the steps. Luckily there are many how-to's to be found, so I think I've got the idea... 
Neck opening with placket, in progress
Anyway, up-wards and on-wards. I will update with more as I go along but I think these babies should be done by the weekend ( I hope). 

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see the finished wide sleeve blouse. I'm loving big puffy sleeves right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dana, thank you. It's almost there! I worked on the sleeves last night and they are ready now to attach to the bodice of the blouse. Will post some updates today.

    ReplyDelete